Optimization (was Re: volatile)

Dave Sill dsill at nswc-oas.arpa
Tue May 24 02:39:37 AEST 1988

der Mouse writes:
>In article <258 at ateng.UUCP>, chip at ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> In article <13074 at brl-adm.ARPA> dsill at NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) writes:
>>> This bears repeating.  There should be no circumstances under which
>>> the semantics of the language are changed by a flag to the compiler.
>Like -D?  -I?  -R?  -fsingle?

If you're able to change C's semantics with a -D or -I option,
something's wrong.  -R does indeed change semantics, and for that
reason I would try to avoid using it (I've never seen it used,
myself).  Same for -f, it's not even in my cc man page.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"If I learn from my mistakes, pretty soon I'll know everything."
					-- Richard O'Keefe