C interpreters?

Mark Stevans mark at navtech.uucp
Thu May 26 09:20:43 AEST 1988

In article <844 at esunix.UUCP> bpendlet at esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
>I've heard some rumors about a C interpreters called Sabre. Does anyone
>know where I can get more information about it? Any information about
>commercially available, or even free, C interpreters would be
>appreciated.

We had a demo version of Saber here at Navigation Technologies.  The "demo"
version differs from the real thing in that it has some kind of built-in
time limit on how long you can use it.  After evaluating it, we have decided
to purchase a real copy.

I spent a few hours trying Saber out.  I was able to load an existing program
of mine into it, something on the order of twenty source files totalling a
few thousand lines of C code, and have it interpreted it perfectly, at
fairly impressive speed.  It is easy enough to use that I didn't even need
to read the documentation to figure out how to use it.

Imagine a magic version of "dbx" that could take any C statement as a command
(instead of the "dbx" subset of expressions), and that permitted you to
modify your code without exiting, compiling, or relinking.  Saber comes
pretty close to being that.

Of course, I am hardly an experienced Saber user.  I'm sure some other
customer out there will tell use more.  But from what I have seen with my
own eyes, I think that those of you who are interested in C interpreters
should at least get a demo copy like we did.

					Mark "Volatile" Stevans