Zortech C++

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sat May 28 10:55:15 AEST 1988

In article <10333 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> jss at hector (Jerry Schwarz) writes:
>In article <8805261601.AA22106 at decwrl.dec.com> nadkarni at erlang.dec.com.UUCP writes:
>>Announcing a C++ compiler from Zortech Inc. (617-646-6703).
>>List price (the best part) - $99, Fully conformant with Bjarne Stroustrup's
>				   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>definition, ANSI C superset, true compiler (not just a preprocessor), includes
> ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This is, of course, impossible since C++ as defined by Bjarne is not
>an ANSI C superset, and cannot easily be made into a superset.
>This has been discussed in comp.lang.c++ many times in the past,
>and probably will be again.  Briefly, the important problems are
>the separate namespace of tags and variables in ANSI and the
>interpretation of a function declaration with an empty parameter list.

Yes, but couldn't the compiler support options or flags which determine
its behaviour? Couldn't there be two code generators part of the same
package, two sets of libraries, etc., all driven by the same control
program (cc, or in this case, ztc)?

In fact, since the Zortech compiler is indeed derived from the Datalight
C Compiler, which had been steadily moving into the direction of full ANSI
compatibility, this would be very simple to implement, and I believe,
is in fact the way it is done.

I know that Zortech's marketing philosophy is that noone using C++ will
ever want to use C again, but that's baloney, and I believe that their
compiler will in effect provide both a C compiler and a C++ compiler in
the same package.

BTW, I really **LOVE** postings which say that "OF COURSE, what someone
else just said is wrong".
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp at DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp at dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD