C vs assembler

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri May 27 03:05:34 AEST 1988

> BTW, I do all my coding in C and ASM. When I have speed problems with a
> function in C, I recode it in ASM...

There is an alternative:  rethink the C function.  The current implementation
of C News (plug, plug) is an order of magnitude faster than our earliest
attempts.  It still contains not one line of assembler.  We *have* spent a
lot of time re-thinking and re-implementing key portions; there are parts
of that code that have been redone from scratch three or four times, each
time as a result of new insights on how to make things faster.  Strategy
beats tactics every time, although it's more work.
--
"For perfect safety... sit on a fence|  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
and watch the birds." --Wilbur Wright| {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry