X3J11 response to comments (was: Block Closure)

David E. Bakken bakken at hrsw2.UUCP
Wed May 11 02:14:15 AEST 1988

In article <1988May2.212040.3274 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> If they can't find $50 in their own pockets, or their own plus their friends'
> pockets, or their organization's pockets, I really have to conclude that
> [etc]
	They don't even have to come up with this whole amount.  I've
	looked all over the draft (and the Oct 86 version) and can't
	find a copyright on it.  So it seems one must just find someone
	who has a copy and pay for the copying costs (which might be in
	the neighborhood of $12).  I don't know why it is not
	copyrighted - perhaps ANSI likes people to be able to freely
	reproduce its standards (and drafts thereof) but doesn't like
	to be in the document dissemenation business so it finds
	someone like Global to distribute the docs for a fee.
	--> DISCLAIMER <-- I'm not a lawyer, so consult one if you need
	to and don't blame me or my employer if you suffer liability
	because of using my statement (aren't litigious societies
	wonderful?).

> (Actually I think it was more like $75, but the principle stands.)
	I'm pretty sure its $65 that Global distributes them for.
--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken