Lisp-style comments

David Dyer-Bennet ddb at ns.network.com
Sat Apr 29 08:09:06 AEST 1989

In article <10150 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
:In article <3851 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> julian at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) writes:
:>Someone told me recently that the latest ANSI draft has
:>Lisp-style comments,
:I suggest you find a more reliable source of information.

Microsoft C 5.1 has added some sort of comment-to-end-of-line syntax,
I believe.  I think it's also a double slash; I don't use it (at least
yet).  With both them and (according to another followup) some Mac C
adding it, anybody got any idea where the idea came from (since I take it
as given that Doug Gwyn is right about its not being in the ANSI draft)?
Was it perhaps discussed or proposed, and finally turned down after feature
freeze on those particular compilers?

David Dyer-Bennet, ddb at terrabit.fidonet.org, or ddb at ns.network.com
or ddb at Lynx.MN.Org, ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!viper!ddb
or ...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb
or Fidonet 1:282/341.0, (612) 721-8967 9600hst/2400/1200/300