error recovery

Anders Thulin ath at helios.prosys.se
Fri Apr 28 17:55:30 AEST 1989

In article <510 at lakart.UUCP> dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>djones at megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) sez:
>> Why? For one thing, error-recovery in a recursive descent parser is even
>> trickier than in an LR parser!
>
>The hell it is!!!

I most humbly agree.

Some suggestion to the original poster as to recursive-descent error recovery:

Al Hartmann: An implementation of Concurrent Pascal
Springer Verlag

	Contains a description of a way to produce RD parsers with error
	recovery, based on the methods used in the Zurich P4 Pascal.

Steven Pemberton: Comments on an error-recovery scheme by Hartmann
Software - Practice & Experience,

	Corrects an error in Hartmann's description. This is probably
	the best place to start.

(I'm typing these references from memory. Titles are probably off by one,
authors and publishers are not. Hope it is of some help.)

Anders Thulin			INET : ath at prosys.se
Programsystem AB		UUCP : ...!{uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath
Teknikringen 2A			PHONE: +46 (0)13 21 40 40
S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden	FAX  : +46 (0)13 21 36 35