relative value of stripping symbols

Paul Hudson paul at moncam.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 22:26:47 AEST 1989

In article <17615 at cisunx.UUCP>, jcbst3 at cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) writes:
> Just a little question of some interest.  Suppose I have a C program that
> when compiled with the -g option (debugging symbols left in) (this is ATT
> Unix Sys V).  Does leaving these symbols in the file affect program
> performance?  Signifigantly?  Reason for asking, I have an application

With "normal" Unix C compilers, -g implies no optimisation. This of
course will make your code run slower (usuallly!) than optimised code.
It's quite difficult to debug code that has been optimised a lot,
although often enough information can be obtained. GNU gcc allows
-O and -g to be combined, and thus (except for disk space) there's
never any reason to not use -g.

Paul Hudson

Snail mail: Monotype ADG	Email:	...!ukc!acorn!moncam!paul
	    Science Park,		paul at moncam.co.uk
	    Milton Road,	"Sun Microsysytems:
	    Cambridge,		 The Company is Arrogant (TM)"
	    CB4 4FQ