the Telephone Test

Jeff Erickson krazy at claris.com
Tue Apr 25 16:27:12 AEST 1989

>From article <1261 at infmx.UUCP>, by kevinf at infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden):
> In article <9957 at claris.com> I write:
>>"Pound include st'deeoh dot aitch.  Main arg-see arg-vee.  Int arg-see.  Care
>>star star arg-vee.  Open brace.  Int eye.  For eye equal one, eye less than
> 					       ^
> 					paren _should_ be here
> 					(notice the case sensitivity=-)
>>arg-see, eye plus plus.  Print-eff quote argument percent dee is percent ess
>                         ^
> 			paren here too?  (or are you doing a one liner?)
>>period backslash enn endquote comma eye comma arg-vee sub eye.  Close brace."

Nope.  No parens.  I'm making the assumption that the listener knows the
language.  Notice I also left out every semicolon and all the other parens,
as well as the angle brackets around "st'deeoh dot aitch".

C'mon.  You know the laguage well enough to have figured out that parens
should go there.  Why should I have to remind you?

If I had been doing a one-liner, I would have explicitly stated "eye plus
plus COMMA print-eff..." to make sure you knew.  And I probably would've
said the parens, too.
--
Jeff Erickson       Claris Corporation  | Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
408/987-7309      Applelink: Erickson4  |   Why'd you do that in my eye?