modifying parent's environment, etc.

richard.r.grady..jr r4 at cbnews.ATT.COM
Sat Apr 29 08:16:38 AEST 1989

In article <2158 at pur-phy> sho at newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
- This thread got me to thinking.  I wrote a quickie program which,
- for reasons I don't need to go into now, modified argv[i].  The
- strangest thing happened: if you run it in the background and look
- at it using ps, the line where it tells you what you typed in as
- your command line changes.  I'm interested to know if this works
- on all versions of UNIX.  Compile the following, run it in the
- background, and do a PS.  Over here, we are running BSD 4.3.

We're running AT&T SVR2 here, and it doesn't work on our machine.
I already tried it a couple of months ago.
(I wanted to use the ps command to monitor the progress of a
long-running program started by cron.)

Dick Grady               r4 at mvuxd.att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4