Iconitis

Sho Kuwamoto sho at pur-phy
Fri Apr 7 15:07:55 AEST 1989

In article <17376 at cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) writes:

>I'd like to put my two kopeks worth in here too.  I found mouse and icon
>based applications infuriating for this very reason.  A word to all you who
>write these things.  I am a *fast* typist.  I absolutely hate having to
>remove my fingers from the home keys to manipulate a mouse.  [...]
>Please, if you are going to write applications based on the
>mouse, give me the *option* of using the keyboard.

I agree to a certain extent.  I think that for applications which
cater toward experienced users, a CLI interface is very handy.
However, I find that once you get used to using a mouse, it's not all
that bad.  The first time I used a mac, I was intrigued, but I found
the lack of a CLI interface annoying.  Nowadays, I have the option of
using a CLI interface for at least the shell (the MPW shell) but I
never end up using it unless I absolutely *can't* do something
effectively from the Finder.  (like using wildcards, for example).

In addition, most applications provide ample keyboard equivalents for
the menu items, and you can use a macro editor to provide you with the
ones that don't exist.  I agree that every action should be accesible
through both the keyboard and the mouse, but I'm not commited to one
over the other.  When I'm using an editor on the mac, I sometimes end
up hitting emacs cursor control keys to move around (even the arrow
keys are kind of far away), but when I'm using emacs on a terminal
emulator, I sometimes reach for the mouse when I want to move a large
distance....  *sigh*.

With regard to programs giving users the option of using the keyboard,
I agree.  But this keyboard interface can be enhanced by the use of
windows, mouse, etc., not hindered.  I've been writing a generic CLI
package to use in my future programs.  It lets you scroll back, pick
out, and edit previous commands with the mouse instead of using
history.  It lets you use cut and paste, find, etc.  Eventually, I
hope to implement the csh history substitutions for when that's
convenient.  What I mean to say is that the mouse should not be
scrapped altogether, but should be used intelligently....

Sorry if this posting tends to ramble.  I have a lot of grading to do
and not too much time to edit.

-Sho