Explanation of "Case-sensitive"

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Apr 26 15:33:40 AEST 1989

In article <175100004 at hobbiton> fieland at hobbiton.prime.com writes:
>I think that the reason C is case-sensitive is that UNIX is case-sensitive,
>and C was used to write the UNIX kernel.

There is certainly some logical connection between the two, but not
the one you've guessed.  The UNIX kernel could have been written in
a case-insensitive language and still have avoided folding case in
file names, etc.  The connection is that both software items were
produced by people with the same general philosophy about such
matters.  It is simpler to not fold cases, there is no gain in
functionality by folding cases, there is a loss of generality in
folding cases, therefore it should not be done.