Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Barbara Vaughan BVAUGHAN at pucc.Princeton.EDU
Sat Apr 29 14:37:42 AEST 1989

In article <1399 at uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:

>In article <307 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM> georg at cbnewsh.ATT.COM (georg.k.karawas) writes:
(many lines deleted)

>Is there anything in pANS C, Fortran 8x, and POSIX that will alleviate this
>situation?  It's very annoying, especially these days when all of the really
>high quality numerical stuff is still in FORTRAN and all of the good user
>interface stuff is in C.

This is especially true in my field, demography, where there is an
abundant literature of excellent Fortran programs, originally written
for mainframe computers (cards in, paper out).  I have found a way
to do high quality user interfaces in Fortran, using a Fortran-
callable library of programs called Spinlab. This is available for
Lahey F77L compilers, with plans for an MS Fortran version in the
future. (Maybe this exists already; I haven't checked lately.) This
library contains assembly language routines for screen addressing,
keyboard monitoring, scrolling, windows, everything needed to create
top quality user interfaces. I bought it from the author, but I think
Lahey is now licensed to sell it.

Barbara Vaughan