Iconitis

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Apr 18 21:03:57 AEST 1989

Please move this OUT OF comp.lang.c. Observe followups.

In article <29126 at apple.Apple.COM>, austing at Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
> How about environment variables?  I have seen *MANY* cases where the
> environment variables get changed, and never restored.

This is not possible. Environment variables are local to a process... there
is not even a mechanism in place for a process to change its parent's
environment variables. Given that, how could you possibly have seen *MANY*
cases where that's done?

> Considering that the HIG was put together by experts in the field of user
> interfaces, it is the best overall guideline for graphics interfaces.

And the Apple user interface is hardly the best I've ever used. It's too
heavily affected by the cost constraints on the original Mac. What's worse,
all the sheep are following... my PC has a two-button mouse, so why should
I have to use pull-down menus? Bleagh.

> | All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

Amen.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.