Just Wondering

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Mon Apr 24 08:52:00 AEST 1989

In article <12481 at lanl.gov>, jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
> From article <17037 at mimsy.UUCP>, by chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
> > In article <13159 at dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jskuskin at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
> >>    Why is C case-sensitive?
> > BecAUSe peopLE arE CaSE senSITive, as YOU CAn noW see.
> The fact is that most people are
> _NOT_ case sensitive with respect to the _MEANINGS_ of the words.

In German, "Brocken" is a piece, a lump, a morsel.  "brocken" is a verb
used as in the phrase "Brot in die Suppe brocken", meaning to break bread.
German is case sensitive.  (This example is a bit contrived, especially since
"brocken" seems so limited in application.  There are some less contrived
examples in German (which I could neither remember nor find in my handy
dictionary)).
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu