C macros (was comma operator: keep away?)

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.bsw.com
Fri Apr 28 20:28:23 AEST 1989

In article <1333 at ns.network.com> ddb at ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
-
-                                                             ...I still
-think a "real" macro facility is important / very useful in and of itself,
-for various things particularly including static table initialization.
-(I got exposed to powerful macros in dec's MACRO-10/20, then BLISS.  Even
-the stuff in MASM for a pc is pretty useful (and looks remarkably like
-macro 10/20).)

I prefer the UNIX approach, which is to keep the text processing tools
separate.  The BLISS macro facility is nice (although very difficult to
learn completely), but can only be used in BLISS programs.  On UNIX, you can
do everything the BLISS macros allowed (and more) with a combination of m4,
sed, and awk, and you can use these tools with any language, not just C.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell at bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street