Just Wondering

Liber nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Sat Apr 29 09:01:12 AEST 1989

In article <12564 at lanl.gov> jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:

>1)  My job often requires me to work-on, debug, or rewrite other people's
>    code.  If the other person distinguishes "myvar" from "myVar" and
>    several similar cases, this causes considerable heartburn.

It would cause me heartburn, too.  This is an ABUSE of case
sensitivity; case conventions also have to be followed.  And, as you so
eloquently point out in the next sentence, case insensitivity can also
be abused!  Don't blame the language; blame the programmers!

>2)  Since C distinguishes case, I can't use it to help the readability
>    of code by EMPHASIZING parts that I consider important.

Blech!!  I would NEVER change case on a variable name, even in a
case-insensitive language.  This leads to many more problems (it IS
harder to follow because you mentally have to do some preprocessing,
you can get unintended aliases, etc.) than it is worth.

Maybe you would prefer your alphabet to have two symbols:  "0" and "1"?
:-)
--
 _ __	NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751  IH 4F-410
' )  )			 "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed,