Portability and the Ivory Tower (was Re: Book on Microsoft C)

John Hascall hascall at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Tue Apr 4 00:33:32 AEST 1989

In article <42674c5e.b11a at falcon.engin.umich.edu> ejd at caen.engin.umich.edu (Edward J Driscoll) writes:
>In article <3653 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>>Machine independent code does not imply teletype compatibility. There have

>You're right, 'vi' is an excellent example.  I tried to teach a
>Mac programmer (with an MS from MIT) how to use it, and he
>thought it laughably brutal compared to even the most simple
>Mac editor.  Do you really prefer h,j,k, and l to using a mouse?

    Yes.  I'm certainly not the worlds largest fan of vi, but using a mouse
    to do simple cursor positioning is ludicrous.  Why take your hands off
    the keyboard just to move over a couple of spaces?

    By the way, I'm not being anti-mouse here (I have one on my workstation
    and it is great for things like cut&paste), but I think it's silly to
    try to do everything with it.

John Hascall / ISU Comp Center