fortran to C converter

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 28 07:40:32 AEST 1989

>From article <10134 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> [...]           There are many instances in C coding when the natural
> expression of a simple statement (not talking about entire loops, etc.,
> but rather things like expression statements) simply does not fit on a
> single line within such a length limit. [...]

But, this is clearly (and observably) a _LESS_ common situation than when
the statement _does_ fit on a single line.  Even when indenting is used
heavily for flow control display, the overwhelming majority of the code
consists of one statement per line.  In the comparatively rare instance
when a statement must span several lines, an explicit continuation
character could be used (NO - I don't mean Fortran and always column 6,
etc.).  That way, the majority of statements wouldn't need the redundant
semicolon (and the concurrent threat of error if you accidentally omit it).