Lisp-style comments

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Apr 28 02:35:25 AEST 1989

In article <3851 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> julian at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) writes:
>Someone told me recently that the latest ANSI draft has
>Lisp-style comments, where two slashes at the beginning of a line
>mean that the rest of the line is to be treated as a comment.  Is
>this true, or is it just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking.  He's probably confusing ANSI C with C++.  C++ does
have an alternate comment style in which // anywhere (not just at the
beginning of a line) starts a comment which runs to the end of the line.
This has also been a popular extension to C compilers, which may have
added to the confusion.  As of the Oct draft, it definitely is not part
of ANSI C, and I think I'd have heard about it if X3J11 was crazy enough
to make such a significant change at this late date.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu