fortran to C converter

Dave Gotwisner dig at peritek.UUCP
Wed Apr 12 14:37:37 AEST 1989

In article <30359 at stellar.UUCP>, johnd at stellar.UUCP (John R. Dennis @stellar) writes:

> Would some kind sole point me to a Fortran to C converter. I remember seeing
> at least one advertised in some trade rag. It may either be a commercial
> offering or a public domain version. The primary requirement is that it be
> capable of handling a LARGE body of fortran code (several hundred files
> comprising well over 100K lines of code). If you have any experience with such
> translators I would appreciate hearing your opinion. I don't normally
> subscribe to this news group, so if this is the 100th time this question has
> been asked I appologize. Thanks for you help!

Since I have responded to requests like this in the past, I figure I will
post it this time, in case anyone else may need it in the future and read
these groups.

	Green Hills Software, Inc.
	425 East Colorado Street, Suite 710
	Glendale, CA 91205
	(818) 246-5555
	FAX: 818-246-7037

has such a beastie.  I don't know how good it is, but we use one of their
other products (a 68K cross compiler running under VMS), and it is quite
good.  Binary copies can be gotten from:

	OASYS, Inc.
	230 Second Ave.
	Waltham, MA 02154
	617-890-7889

>From the data sheet (product summary?) (a lot of this means nothing to me,
I try to avoid Fortran):

		    Language
	* ANSI Fortran-77 (Full language)
	* DoD Mil-STD 1753
	* VAX/VMS Extensions
		* NAMELIST
		* Full Syntax OPEN
		* STRUCTURES
		* %VAL, %REF, %LOC
		* !comments
		* ENCODE/DECODE
		* INTEGER *1, *2
		* Octal/Hex constants
		* etc.

		    Optimizations
	* Register allocation
	* Strength reduction
	* Loop Invariant elimination
	* Common subexpressions
	* Value propagation
	* Tail recursion
	* Loop rotation
	* Static address elimination

		    Hosts
	VAX/UNIX	Sun-2		386 UNIX/DOS
	VAX/VMS		Sun-3
	(others by arrangement)

    If you want any more information, please contact either OASYS or
Green Hills.

    Disclaimer: I do not work for either Green Hills or OASYS, and do not
get any money (or credit, or anything else) if you should buy this product.
I am posting this, just because it has been asked for several times in the
past, and I had the sheet on my desk.