case sensitivity

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Tue Apr 25 08:32:32 AEST 1989

>From article <19925 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, by bobmon at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante):

> I can't recall EVER wanting to communicate a program to someone orally,
> either over a phone (excuse me, fohn) or in person.

It's not so much whether you want to or not, it's just that in the real
world of engineering, one is continually discussing programs with other
people. Every day.

> When I have to, I
> specify it character by character, and if some of those characters are
> uppercase, or are blanks, or are oddball printable characters, I name
> them as such.

If you have to transcribe an entire program precisely, you use a tape
or a floppy, for Pete's sake.  I'm talking about how you conduct
conversations about programs, not how you transcribe them.