Just Wondering

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 27 04:49:06 AEST 1989

>From article <10321 at ihlpb.ATT.COM>, by tainter at ihlpb.ATT.COM (Tainter):
>     [...]                                    As long a reasonable
>     convention is used for why they differ in case there is little problem.
>
>     Personally, I think people who do mixed case like MyVar should be shot!

Unfortunately, irrational conventions often occur.  And, since shooting
the programmer is illegal (and doesn't solve the immediate problem anyway),
it would have been better if the feature had never been allowed.

(By the way, if I _NEVER_ had to deal with anyone's code but my own, I too
would probably support case sensitivity.  But, I do so I don't.)

>>    of code by EMPHASIZING parts that I consider important.
>
>     A frightening prospect!  [...]
>     [...]                                    What you think you
>     know what is important to the next guy reading the code?  [...]

As often as not, I'm the next person reading the code.  I at least know
what I think is important.  I any case, the fix for others is obvious
and easy, translate everything to lowercase (as you pointed out).  If
the fix for mixed case variables in C were as easy, I would have no
objection to them.