Just Wondering

David Dyer-Bennet ddb at ns.network.com
Tue Apr 25 07:12:21 AEST 1989

In article <10088 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
:In article <13159 at dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jskuskin at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) writes:
:>    Why is C case-sensitive?
:
:It makes programs considerably more readable, and expands the available
:name space considerably.
:
:Is there some reason C should NOT be case sensitive?

Well, I've seen quite a few bugs that were finally determined to be caused
by programmers looking at code with identifiers with the same spelling but
different casing, and thinking they were the same.  I've found I got over
that MOST of the time, and remember to check for it the rest of the time;
but it means that when "thinking c" I have to think differently than when
I'm doing most other reading tasks, which makes things epsilon much harder.

It also enforces rules about casing of identifiers, so the same identifier
ALWAYS looks the same, which is clearly good.

How DO people feel about identifiers differing only in casing?  Is this
ok?  To be COMPLETELY avoided?  To be avoided except in a very few
well-understood conventional cases?

David Dyer-Bennet, ddb at terrabit.fidonet.org, or ddb at ns.network.com
or ddb at Lynx.MN.Org, ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!viper!ddb
or ...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb
or Fidonet 1:282/341.0, (612) 721-8967 9600hst/2400/1200/300