Iconitis

Glenn L. Austin austing at Apple.COM
Wed Apr 19 04:13:35 AEST 1989

In article <29141 at apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer at Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <29126 at apple.Apple.COM> austing at Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>>
>>How about environment variables?  I have seen *MANY* cases where the
>>environment variables get changed, and never restored.
>
>That's rather odd, as you can't change environment variables from a
>unix command or shell script. The spawned process only sees a copy of
>the environment. Are you sure it wasn't MSDOS?

You can do the same thing in MSDOS as you can in UNIX -- find the original
copy of the environment table and modify it.  It isn't too hard to do for
UNIX programs, especially shell scripts.

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing at apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |