case sensitivity

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Sat Apr 29 11:09:41 AEST 1989

In article <1331 at ns.network.com> ddb at ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
: But in practice nobody gets particularly bent out of shape if somebody writes
: "Well, then we won't have the blasted thing done until august, I guess."
: The formal convention is there, but it doesn't seem to be what people use
: for figuring out the meaning of the sentence.

	He is in the house.

vs.

	He is in the House.

This is not a topic worth debating. The difference is in fact
substantive.

If you'd like an analogy, consider that, in C, pointer casts are
often, by the uninformed, considered formal rather than substantive
because it is often the case that the cast induces no change in the
representation.

This does not change the fact that casts are substantive.

And ignorance of this point has caused many C programmers grief.

Ignorance of the English point is much less likely to cause grief,
not because the difference is not substantive, but because English is
immensely redundant.

Followups have been directed to /dev/null.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill