case sensitivity

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Fri Apr 28 13:20:16 AEST 1989

In article <752 at acorn.co.uk> enevill at acorn.co.uk (Edward Nevill) writes:

>I don't have a problem with case [in]sensitivity in languages. I do have a
>problem with people who write mixed case library functions for case sensitive
>languages, eg. Mac C systems. Turning to a random page in Inside Macintosh.
>Pg. I-474

>FUNCTION GetCursor(cursorID: INTEGER) : CursHandle;
>
>TYPE CursPtr    = ^Cursor;
>     CursHandle = ^CursPtr;
>
>CONST iBeamCursor = 1;
>      crossCursor = 2;
>      plusCursor  = 3;
>      watchCursor = 4;
>
>PROCEDURE ShieldCursor(shieldRect: Rect; offsetPt: Point);

Mac C takes this?  That must be some C compiler!

>I continually have to look up the manual to find the
>correct case. This is a pain.

Well, if it's really a Pascal compiler, then you DON'T have to look up
the correct spelling, because Pascal is case insensitive.

Pascal formerly did not accept underscores (silly little painful
omission which is now rectified), so designers used casing instead of
underscores to delimit words for human readers.  If this drives you
up a wall, you'd better not use underscores or capitals in C either.
At least in Pascal, the user of such a library could be lazy about
matching the capitals (though a professional would not be).

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-inventing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?