comma operator: keep away?

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Wed Apr 26 13:45:13 AEST 1989

In article <8284 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>How about the more common:
>
>for (x=0, y=0; x <100 ; x++, y++) {
>    stuff ...
>}
>
>Of course this could also be done other ways - the only thing "required"
>in a programming language is an assignment and a test-and-branch operator.
>The rest is merely "useful".

Why two operators?  The sole required operator is "subtract, assign, and
branch if negative."

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-inventing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?