Texts on fundamentals of programming/computer science

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Apr 4 04:34:37 AEST 1989

In article <1203 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>One thing I've wanted for a while ...
>is a cookbook of data structures and algorithms.  Leave in the details (as
>opposed to making them exercises), but make it brief, skip most of the math,
>and explain the boundary cases and implementation issues.

So far the closest I've seen to this is the "Numerical Recipes" series
(Fortran, Pascal, and C versions) by Press, Flannery, Teukolski, and
Vetterling.  I can't say much for their use of C, and occasionally they
pick an ill-advised algorithm, but at least there are a lot of workable
algorithms in most areas of numeric computation.