realloc

Frank Wales frank at zen.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 18:58:29 AEST 1989

In article <1196 at cmtl01.UUCP> oisin at cmtl01.UUCP (Oisin) writes:
>in Article 131 of comp.std.c: gregg at ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly)  says:
>>or are you one of those people that assumes (*((char *)NULL) == 0) too?
>
>Pardon my ignorance, but if I'm wrong you can flame me too...
>Does the draft not specify that whatever implementation of NULL is used,
>the compiler must guarantee that a ptr containing that implementation's
>version of NULL must test as false?

[just a singe] Gregg was actually bemoaning the extremely fragile assumption
that dereferencing a NULL pointer yields 0, probably the commonest single
pain in the arse to those who would port other people's programs.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank at zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217