binary data files

Ed Nather nather at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Apr 29 23:43:22 AEST 1989

I have used both binary and ascii data files in different versions of the
same basic data acquisition program -- binary back when digital data
cassettes were new and floppy disks held a massive 160KB, and ascii
when things loosened up a bit.  Believe me, ascii is better:

1. I can use Unix (or Unix-like) text tools to scan data files and their
corresponding headers; I used to have to write my own tools.

2. Normal, everyday human beings can read the files without having to use
a special translation program.  Printers can print them for scrutiny.

3. I can often whump up a pipeline to do some special processing job, based
on Unix(-like) tools for most of it, and often only a single tool to do the
special stuff as the data flow through.

4. Other computers understand ascii and can read the files without having
to write special conversion routines.

5. I have written conversion routines that turn old, compact binary data
files & headers into ascii, matching the current program's output.  Going
the other way would be unthinkable.

Bad things:

1. Files take a bit longer to read in, since conversion from ascii is now
necessary, but it's a small percentage of the total read time.

2. Files are larger.

3. There are no other bad things.

--
Ed Nather