Microsoft C 5.1 - bug

Tom Wilson wilson at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Fri Apr 14 20:56:11 AEST 1989

In article <1051 at dgbt.uucp> lew at dgbt.crc.dnd.ca (Lew Stelmach) writes:
>The following program compiles successfully on Microsoft C5.1,
>Microsoft Quick C 2.0, TurboC, DEC VAX Ultrix C, Sun Unix C, and other
>compilers.  However, it does not run correctly when compiled using
>Microsoft C5.1. Note that it runs correctly on Microsoft Quick C 2.0.

[ Program listing and output deleted]

1.  I ran this and confirm the bug in MSC 5.1

2.  When I specified no compiler optimzation (/Od), the bug went away.  While
    I don't have time to look at the object output, it looks like maybe some
    incorrect overoptimization.

3.  This isn't the first MSC bug that I have seen posted, or found myself.
    While I have seen postings from various folks at Microsoft, I have never
    found a direct e-mail route for sending this type of bug.  They seem to want
    everything to come by U.S. Snail.  Is this actually the case?  What about
    other vendors (not just PCs) -- this would seem like a useful group
    for someone at the compiler builders to watch; it doesn't seem like it
    would take that much time (just judicious use of 'k').

>Lew Stelmach, Ph.D.           Communications Research Centre
>                              P.O. Box 11490, Station H
>(613) 998 2005                Ottawa, Ontario, K2H 8S2, Canada
>
>BITNET: lew at doccrc.bitnet
>Others: lew at dgbt.crc.dnd.ca

Tom Wilson                        wilson at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Internet)
                                  wilson at uhccux.UUCP || wilson at uhccux (Bitnet)