size of double in Cray C

Wm. E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Apr 28 05:55:43 AEST 1989

In article <1989Apr26.170635.3933 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

| The choice being discussed here is not the size of floating point on the
| machine, but the mapping from C's sizes to machine sizes.  There's nothing
| wrong with making "float" and "double" the same size, and this is clearly
| what should have been done.

  As a matter of interest, the only thing on the Cray2 C which has
really bitten me is the 64 bit short. When porting code to the C2 I
found a number of places in which the size of int could vary without
problem, but short>16 bits caused trouble.

The recent net posting of the lzhuf program suffers from this... There's
still at least one place in which truncation to 16 bits is assumed
implicitly, and I hope to find it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at crd.GE.COM)