MSC 5.1 make

Shane Dawalt sdawalt at wright.EDU
Thu Dec 21 06:04:42 AEST 1989

in article <8178 at cg-atla.UUCP>, fredex at cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) says:

> In article <884 at thor.wright.EDU> sdawalt at wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:
>>                                       I suspect that Microsoft may have
>>relaxed the strict rule flow of Unix so that non-Unix users could simply
                               ^^^^^^^
>>list their files in any order and make would run without problems ... then
>>you have the Unix people wondering why MSC's make is so "strange."  :-)
>>
>>  Shane
>>
>>sdawalt at cs.wright.edu
>
> What MSC's make does is to move the dependency order work from the program
> to the PROGRAMMER. It is necessary for the objects to be listed in the makefile
> top to bottom in dependency order.

  Perhaps I did not choose the best wording (I can almost see everyone
nodding their heads), but when I stated "strict rule flow of Unix [make],"
the implication was a recursive, top-down ordering of rules in the makefile as
is required for Unix make.  Microsoft make starts at the top and works down the
rule list one at a time.  That's terrific for non-Unix people; just list the
files in the makefile (source first, executable last) and ya have it made.  On
the other hand, the concept of a make utility is not realized with this type
of makefile format.

  Shane

email: sdawalt at cs.wright.edu