"foo" origin

Richard Nuttall richard at torch.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 22:54:35 AEST 1989

jdw at hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>In my lengthy career in Computer Science at the University,
>many professors used the acronym "foo".  None of which knew
>its origins.  Examples of code were called "foo.c", functions
>were called "int foo ()".  Do any of you gurus from way
>back know what this stands for????

This is one of those questions that gets you a different answer each day
of the week.

Here is the version I heard.

FUBAR, meaning Fu**ed Up Beyond All Recognition  was split into two parts,

FU and BAR and used in example cases.

Someone in Dec, some time ago wanted a name to use in an example in a document,
but didn't want the swear word in there. To disguise this, the word FOO was
used instead of FU.

I hope that's at least partially right.

--
Richard Nuttall                       |    stc!datlog!torch!richard
Manager, X Technology                 |    richard at torch.co.uk
Torch Technology, Great Shelford,     |    Tel : +44 223 841000 X 308
Cambridge, CB2 5LQ, England           |    Fax : +44 223 840223