Soundex ^v^v^ DANGER WILL ROBINSON v^v^v

Stanislaw L. Olejniczak SLORES at umiami.miami.edu
Thu Dec 21 14:00:25 AEST 1989

In article <393 at oha.UUCP>, tony at oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
> I grabbed a version of the soundex code and added a soundex index
> and search capability to a pupil search query in a test scoring application.
> ...but our client
> was in (deep) southern California, and *most* of the pupils last names were of
> Spanish derivation!

While the soundex was derived for Anglo-Saxon names, the Florida Cancer
Data System, the Florida State CAncer Registry, is using soundex quite
effectively in their database maintenance; and I don't have to (though I
will :-) )  tell you that Hispanic surnames abound here.

----
Stan Olejniczak               Internet:         slores at umiami.miami.edu
University of Miami, FL USA   UUCP: (temp void) gould!umbio!solejni
SLORES at UMIAMI.BITNET          UUCP: (?)         umigw!gables!slores
Voice: (305) 547-6571         FAX: (305) 548-4612
My opinions cannot possibly represent the views of anyone else!