Helps wanted on Microsoft C compiler.

Bryan A. Woodruff bryan at quame.UUCP
Thu Dec 7 14:47:22 AEST 1989

In article <16013 at pollux.UUCP> jwang at smu.edu (Jainbai Wang) writes:
>When programming with Microsoft C lately, I run into a problem that the
>MSC compiler gives the following error message at compiling time :
>
>           Fatal error C1059 : out of near heap space
>
>The manual explains it like this :
>
>	   The compiler has run out of storage for items that it stores
>           in the "near" (default data segment) heap. This usually means
>           that your program has too many symbols or complex expressions.
>           To correct the problem, divide the file into several smaller
>           source files, or break expressions into smaller subexpressions.

Which version of MSC are you using... if 5.1 and you are using the LARGE
memory model, you may have problems with near default data segments.

You can fix this by setting the /Gt switch... syntax is /Gt n where n is
the largest size of strings (constant and static data) that will be
stored in the near segment...  Play with the value, eventually you will
find a value that works for you.  My /Gt switches are set to 20.

Bryan Woodruff,
Product Manager, Quality America, Inc.