ansi c and directories

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sun Dec 3 14:27:20 AEST 1989

> |> A filename, whose mapping to file access is defined by the implementation.
> |Good. We've established that. Now why can't the same semantics be defined
> |for directory reading utilities?

> 	I'm sure the concept of a file is more inherit to operating
> systems than is the concept of a directory.

In any system for which files have names, there is at least one directory.

Thus a routine that returns the names of files in at least the current
directory is more generally portable than system().

And, as you pointed out, system() is in the standard.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter at ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.