A question of style

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 22:35:39 AEST 1989

In article <490 at nixba.UUCP> mike at nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
>I once taught a C seminar for Philips, and in their house "style manual" for
>C the use of the comma operator was absolutely forbidden.

I have a pathlogical dislike for the comma operator, because its most
common use seems to be to allow overloading of too many unrelated concepts
into one source line, in a sort of 'Gosh, amn't I clever' coding style.
Banning it altogether is probably excessive, because I think there are
occasions when it helps make things clearer or more efficient.  I do wish,
though, that someone could put a heuristic into the compiler so that it
would be rejected if it is being used because it is 'flash' rather than
because it wins something in the context. :-)

--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee at bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)