MSC __STDC__ strange value

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Dec 11 14:36:52 AEST 1989

In article <1311 at islay.tcom.stc.co.uk> tony at htc1.UUCP (Tony Oliver) writes:
>I take all these statements to indicate that, although the ISO standard was (at
>the time of publication) still being considered, the ANSI standard was in place
>(finalized and complete) and that this book describes conformance to this
>standard.

When the book was written, it was expected that ANSI would have ratified
the C Standard by the time the book appeared.  However, a last-minute
procedural delay has caused probable ratification to slip until January
1990 (last I heard).  Details of this delay have been posted previously.

Note, however, that the final proposed Standard has been stable for a
year now, and during the lengthy delay we've all been proceeding on the
assumption that it will eventually be ratified by ANSI.