"foo" origin

Dan Mick dan at charyb.COM
Mon Dec 4 09:28:12 AEST 1989

In article <564 at s5.Morgan.COM> amull at Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>Clooge, (the original spelling of what has now been
>corrupted to kludge - now rhyming with fudge) was around in Viet Nam,
>but again I don't know how far back it goes.

'kluge' has been around for a lot longer.  It means "clever" in German,
and probably Yiddish as a result; makes a lot more sense that way.  I doubt
that 'clooge' was the original spelling, but it's closer to the original
pronunciation, which is likely 'clue-geh'.
--
.sig files are idiotic and wasteful.