C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

c9h at psuecl.bitnet c9h at psuecl.bitnet
Thu Dec 14 08:46:53 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec13.173114.10295 at ultra.com>, ted at ultra.com (Ted Schroeder) writes:
> c9h at psuecl.bitnet writes:
>
> Well, not exactly.  IBM C/370 is case sensitive AS long as the data is local.
> I'm sure that globals are not case sensitive in Waterloo C either since the
> linker/loader doesn't support case.  It also doesn't support the "_" character
> and symbols can only be 8 chars long.  ("_" chars get turned into the "@" char
> automatically by the compiler).

Funny ...  Maybe Waterloo C knows something ...  Perhaps it has a better
way to handle this ...  Hell, I don't know.  All I know is that *it* doesn't
bitch and moan when I have too identifiers varying only in case.

> By the way, I've done a pretty major port of a Unix device driver for our
> product into VM and have had not a single issue with the compiler.  Now the
> loader, that I've got my opinions about, but let's not bad mouth the compiler
> when it's the rest of the IBM support you're really pissed about.

Your *damned* right I'm pissed.  Our people ordered the manual(s) with the
compiler (oh, about seven or eight months ago), and the manuals still aren't
here.

BTW:  I just checked.  WATC *is*, in every aspect, case sensitive.

--
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  c9h at hcx.psu.edu
  cmh at psuecl2.bitnet