Compiler-heap woes....

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Thu Dec 28 14:13:59 AEST 1989

  Let me throw out a few ideas here, because I'm not sure which one will
be useful. First, I wasn't clear if the message came at compile or load
time. If it came at compile time the option -LARGE will often help.
Before going to the {whatever} model for compilation, try some of: (a)
playing with the stack/heap ration with the -F command, (b) making that
one array 'far' or even 'huge', (c) diddling with the size of the data
item which get their own segment (only if it happens at link time), or
(d) combinations of the above.

  Hope some of this is useful, I offer one additional suggestion, which
I used to solve a similar problem: (e) get a 386 and stop worrying
about running into all the stupid limits. I spent three years with a
286 at work, but at home went directly from CP/M to 386 UNIX without a
stop at the 286. I highly commend it.

--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen at sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon