binary constants (??)

Michael Greim greim at sbsvax.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 20:54:29 AEST 1989

In article <15348 at haddock.ima.isc.com>, karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
> In article <1989Nov29.164913.1794 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >For some reason, I've never had cause to write numbers in (say) base 19.
>
> Interestingly enough, I once needed to write some constants whose natural
> radix was 64 (and, due to the context, none of the radix-64 digits would ever
> exceed the value of 'Z').  When I tried to make use of the arbitrary-radix
> feature built into the language I was using at the time (using the notation
> ddddB64), it triggered a compiler bug.
If I recall correctly (the manual is nowhere near) DEC uses numbers with
radix 36 in the names for their fonts for the graphic system VWS, which
runs on VMS on MicroVaxes.
I was never curious enough to decipher the number, though. I have a
define "my_font01=[DEC's font name]", and that's all I care about the
numbers.

	Michael