ANSI C Standard available for ftp?

Metafont Consultant Account xanthian at saturn.ADS.COM
Sun Dec 31 05:16:35 AEST 1989

In article <994 at ux.acss.umn.edu> eric at ux.acss.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:
>Is the ANSI C Standard (complete) available for anoymous ftp?
>
>	Yours,
>		--Eric
>--
>/---------"Oh carrots are divine, you get a dozen for dime, its maaaagic."---
>|Eric (the "Mentat-Philosopher") Hendrickson	      University of Minnesota
>|1 Lind Hall; 207 Church Street S.E.,          Internet: eric at ux.acss.umn.edu
>|Minneapolis, MN  55455	  USA	    612/625-0801	   The game is afoot!

Almost certainly not "legally", since ANSI (CBEMA?) policy forbids
telecom distribution of even _draft_ standards documents to
non-standards committee members.  ANSI derives a _very_ large income
from selling highly overpriced nearly illegible paper copies of
ephemeral documents.  I've beaten my head against this one repeatedly,
and it has prevented (impoverished) me from submitting comments on
FORTRAN 8X, CGM, and PHIGS standards, among others where I could have
provided expert advice to a less rapacious organization.  Individual
committee members _hate_ this [and one even photocopied and sent to me
the FORTRAN 8X dpANS (a bit late for me to use, but the thought was
sure nice, Presley!)], because they know that knowledge is not
restricted to those with corporate financial support, but the ANSI
rules leave them pretty helpless.

Again, my opinion, not the account furnishers'.

xanthian at well.sf.ca.us
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available as a build-a-xanthian
kit at better toy stores near you.  Warning - some parts are fragile.

< Your artwork converted to a METAFONT symbol program for TeX and LaTeX use! >
< Send a salad plate sized blowup, a SASE, and a cover letter to me at TCC,  >
< P.O. Box 390755, Mountain View, CA 94039-0755 for a no risk, fixed price   >
< quote.  Company logos a specialty.  (Hey, it's a living, however modest.)  >
\vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv/