Yet Another Lint Foul-up

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 03:58:24 AEST 1989

In article <9296 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn...) writes:

> Ignoring certain "lint" output that could have been avoided is
> one bad habit.  There is another one in the opposite direction:
> Some C programmers use tricks to "shut lint up" rather than
> fixing a genuinely non-portable aspect of their code.

Indeed.  One local addition to "lint" is illustrated below:

	Script started on Sat Jan  7 12:51:10 1989
	elmer$ cat try.c
	/*LINTLIBRARY*/

	/*ARGSUSED*/
	int
	func(i)
	{
		return i;
	}
	elmer$ lint try.c
	try.c:
	try.c(8): warning: function func has superfluous ARGSUSED
	elmer$ exit

	script done on Sat Jan  7 12:51:27 1989

It surprises me how much off-the-net code produces "superfluous ARGSUSED"
messages; some C programmers just uniformly use tricks, whether they're
needed or not.
--
Wolf is a registered trademark of the boy who cried it.