YALF (yet another lint foulup)

Liber nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Fri Jan 6 11:22:46 AEST 1989

In article <379 at lakart.UUCP> dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:

>What is in fact needed is ANOTHER function type notreturning, as opposed
>to void, because in one way void implies return, it also however imples
>return without a corresponding return value. notreturning imples that
>a function is a one way thing.

This really would be messy.  How would you describe the functions which
return some of the time (far more common than never returning)?  I don't
see where yet another function type buys you anything in this case, since
return value and whether or not a function returns, as Doug Gwyn (I think)
said, orthogonal issues.

What do you do if a function is non-returning and it falls off the
bottom?  Never returning is a hard property to check in C.
--
 _ __	NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751  IH 4F-410
' )  )			 "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed,