typechecking

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 03:24:22 AEST 1989

In article <9335 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <19620 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> thoth at banana.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>fprintf("%s : line %d : colon expected.\n",filename,linenumber);
>>Turbo catches this and gcc doesn't.

>I'm somewhat surprised that GCC doesn't catch this, since the
>correct prototype in <stdio.h> would be
>	int fprintf(FILE *, const char *, ...);
>and the compiler should be able to validate the first two argument types.

Unfortunately, GCC does not come with its own stdio.h file.
The standard one is typically used, and does not have function prototypes.

All GCC sees for fprintf is
	int fprintf();
if that.  Usually, as on our Suns, fprintf is not even listed in stdio.h.

---
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs,  Warren MI 48090
uunet!umix!rphroy!megatron!tkacik