Name that algorithm (a small puzzle)

Charles Fineman cef at h.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 6 03:25:36 AEST 1989

A friend showed me a interestng problem the other day. In light of
the interest in the 2^n celing problem a couple of months ago, I
thought y'all might be interested...

    Let a sequence of integers be given. Define a "maximal"
  sub-string to be a sub-string whose sum is the greatest
  of all sub-strings (there could be more than one).

    Find the cheapest (time-wise) algorithm that will find a
  "maximal" subsequence and return its range and sum.

I will post my solution in a few days if there is sufficient interest.

	Charlie Fineman