Subroutine layout in C

Mark Nagel nagel at blanche.ics.uci.edu
Sat Jan 7 07:06:18 AEST 1989

In article <1987 at lznh.UUCP>, ariel at lznh (<10000>Ariel Aloni) writes:
|In article <2459 at ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg at ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
|>
|>  Frank is correct, this is exactly what you want to do.  However, I like
|>to do the following:
|>
|>#define PRIVATE static
|>#define PUBLIC
|
|C is terse and accurate, if you want to invent new keywords for C
|please don't abuse CPP, design your own new language.
|In your particular example the change of 'static' is very confusing
|since 'static' has a different meaning for functions and variables.

Wrong, it makes it more clear.  The static keyword is overloaded, so
why is it confusing to rename it to more accurately reflect the
desired semantics?  It is easy to abuse cpp, but this is not such a
case.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Dept of Info and Comp Sci
ARPA: nagel at ics.uci.edu              | The world is coming to an end.
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ucbvax}!ucivax!nagel  | Please log off.